tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Intermittent Performance Problems
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:44:45 GMT

Howdy,

>2003-10-22 12:24:28 CoyoteAdapter An exception or
>error occurred in the container during the request
>processing
>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

This is the problem.

>So, based on these two things, the problem seems to be
>a memory issue. I run java with the -Xmx200000000

That's an unusual and discourages syntax for the -Xmx command.  Use a
value in megabytes appended by m, e.g. -Xmx512m for 512MB max heap.

It would be helpful to benchmark your app in order to determine how much
memory it requires.  Figure out the expected max load on your app.  Use
a stress test tool like JMeter to simulate this load.  Keep increasing
-Xmx until you no longer get OutOfMemoryErrors under the max expected
load.

Yoav Shapira