tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "rcastagnoli@katamail.com" <rcastagn...@katamail.com>
Subject BASIC atuhentication on TOMCAT 4.0.5
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:08:45 GMT
Dear friends,
I have a problem that I can't solve.
I'm trying to use BASIC authentication in TOMCAT 4.0.5 for a web application and its web.xml
file is:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
        <security-constraint>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Area protetta</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/index.html</url-pattern>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>tomcat</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
        </security-constraint>
        <login-config>
                <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
                <realm-name>BASIC AUTHENTICATION AREA</realm-name>
        </login-config>
</web-app>

But when I call index.html page no authentication form is displayed! (index.html exists on
both the applications).
I tried it on a server with Tomcat 4.0.6 and everything goes well.

So I tried to use, on TOMCAT 4.0.5, the same web.xml also for the ROOT application (that comes
with TOMCAT) and everything goes well.

On your opinion, why the authentication doesn't run on my application?

Please, help me!
I thank you in advance!

Riccardo
(Italy)