tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Meier" <me...@logmail.net>
Subject Apache/Tomcat & VirtualHosts
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:54:48 GMT
Hi,

I am not very familiar with the world of Java/Tomcat. I have set up an
Apache (1.3.27) Server for virtual domain hosting, Tomcat (4.1.18) and
mod_jk. I had basically followed the guide from the Jakarta homepage.

Basically the system works: I can connect to localhost:8080 and execute
the examples and I can run .jsp-files from the users/virtual domains
webspace. However, I cannot get the servlets to work. All I see is the
HTTP Status 404 message from Tomcat saying:

The requested resource (/servlet/HelloWorld) is not available

The logfile catalina_log-<date>.txt prints this message:

invoker: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path /servlet/HelloWorld

I have configured the domain in server.xml like:

<Host name="mydomain.com" appBase="/wwwclient/mydomain.com">
  <Alias>www.mydomain.com</Alias>
  <Context path="" docBase="/wwwclient/mydomain.com" debug="0"/>
</Host>

and in httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost ....>
  DocumentRoot /wwwclient/mydomain.com
  :
  :
  <IfModule mod_jk.c>
    JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
    JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
  </IfModule>
</VirtualHost>

The directory structure looks like:

/wwwclient/mydomain.com
/wwwclient/mydomain.com/WEB_INF
/wwwclient/mydomain.com/WEB_INF/lib
/wwwclient/mydomain.com/WEB_INF/classes
/wwwclient/mydomain.com/WEB_INF/web.xml

I have no idea where Tomcat is looking for the servlet. How does the
web.xml file needs to look like? I would like to configure Tomcat to look
for class files within the users webspace/DocumentRoot as outlined above.
I appreciate any input on solving this matter very much.

Dave