tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "rcastagnoli@katamail.com" <rcastagn...@katamail.com>
Subject Basci Authentication... Please help me...
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:46:23 GMT
Dear friends,
I have a problem that I can't solve.
I'm trying to use BASIC authentication in TOMCAT 4.0.5 for a web application and
 its web.xml file is:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
        <security-constraint>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Area protetta</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/index.html</url-pattern>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>tomcat</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
        </security-constraint>
        <login-config>
                <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
                <realm-name>BASIC AUTHENTICATION AREA</realm-name>
        </login-config>
</web-app>

But when I call index.html page no authentication form is displayed! (index.html
 exists on both the applications).
I tried it on a server with Tomcat 4.0.6 and everything goes well.

So I tried to use, on TOMCAT 4.0.5, the same web.xml also for the ROOT
 application (that comes with TOMCAT) and everything goes well.

On your opinion, why the authentication doesn't run on my application?

Please, help me!
I thank you in advance!

Riccardo
(Italy)