tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: [OT] reloading bean upon session time out
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:40:30 GMT
At 07:59 AM 10/30/2003, you wrote:
>Upon my users first request to my JSP-pages I retrive their user name and
>loads their authorization level etc. from a database. This information is
>stored in a bean given session scope. Thing is that after 30 minutes
>(default) the session times out and the required information is lost,
>thereby rendering my users unable to make request to the database.

If the session times out after 30 minutes, then it means that your user
has not submitted a request with the appropriate JSESSIONID in 30 minutes
-- that's what causes the session to timeout.  If your users are still
hitting your site and the session times out, then there's something else
wrong with what you're doing.

>How do I test for this and redirect them to the original authorization
>page? (Ruling out the option of setting session time out to say 8
>hours...)

There are a hundred ways to do this, but it's really an architectural
decision for you.  If you're not using one of the frameworks and
everything is JSP, one way is to include a login_check.jsp page at the
top of every JSP page.  This page checks to ensure that the user is
logged in.  You could accomplish the same thing with a Filter or custom
tag ... really depends on what you're comfortable with and what fits best
into your system.

justin