tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: where should i store a attribute
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:14:35 GMT
Denny,

>> Hello folks, i´m trying to store a database connection in a session
>> attribute or request attribute, but i must choose a name that just
>> one thread per time would knowns. Any idea?

> I´m not sure if I understand your question, but hey, I´ll give it a
> shot:
>
> To get a unique name:
>
> String uniqueName = String.valueOf(System.currentTimeMillis());
>
> This will give you unique name. Check out the jdk-javadoc for an
> explanation of this method.

I would not use System.currentTimeMillis, since it might not actually be
unique, and its resolution is different on various platrofmr (i.e.
Windows has only like a 10 or 100ms resolution, while Linux has 1000ms
resolution).

If you're looking for something unique to the Thread, why not use the
thread's hashcode?

String uniqueName = String.valueOf(Thread.currentThread().hashCode());

-chris