tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Opinions
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:54:15 GMT
Robert,
> Does anyone have an opinion of Tomcat running in a very high traffic
> environment, let's say, 100K - 500K unique visits/day?

If you have that many visits (with significant session overhead and/or
HTTPS requests), I'd suggest using multiple machines with a
load-balancer. But there's no reason to think that Tomcat can't handle
load when scaled horizontally.

> I'm also wondering about the possibility of running a Tomcat server standalone
> as opposed to using mod_jk.so with Apache to mount webapps with.  Would this
> be more stable, and is there any loss to me if I *don't* use Apache?

The Apache connectors are the ones doing the load-balancing, so you lose
that. For a real high-volume site, I'd recommend a hardware-based load
balancer like BigIP or something similar. They are much more
configurable in terms of how to divide traffic.

The other thing you lose is performance. You rarely want Tomcat to serve
your static content. All it does it tie up threads that could be serving
dynamic content; meanwhile it's filling up your heap space with
temporary objects, so the GC has to run more frequently to pick up old
objects that weren't very useful.

I'd highly recommend using Apache; but consider a static build of the
Tomcat connector instead of the DSO, 'cause it might be a few percent
faster.

-chris