tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: xhtml and Internet Explorer
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:04:03 GMT
On 10/30/2003 10:08 PM Marius Scurtescu wrote:
> I will consider implementing a filter to remove
> the empty lines before the <html> tag.
>
> For now I eliminated most of the empty lines by
> changing:
> <%@page import="..." %>
> <%@page language="Java" %>
> <jsp:include page="foo.jsp" />
> <jsp:include page="bar.jsp" />
> <jsp:include page="baz.jsp" />
>
> to:
>
> <%@page import="..." language="Java" %><jsp:include page="foo.jsp"
> /><jsp:include page="bar.jsp" /><jsp:include page="baz.jsp" />
>
> Ugly, but at least there is one directive per page.
>
> It would be great if the JSP compiler would not output
> new lines for lines containing only JSP directives. I
> will fill a feature request for this.

I doubt you will get far with such a feature request. If you consider
what the JSP is doing, you'll see it's only doing it's job. The new line
is in the JSP!

It's nothing to do with the tag / page directive. Asking the tag or page
directive not to output a new line afterwards is like asking it to scan
ahead in the JSP to determine what comes next, and if it's a new line,
please delete it.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2