tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Viers <b...@po.cwru.edu>
Subject Re: xhtml and Internet Explorer
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:53:38 GMT
Marius Scurtescu wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. I did solve the mystery.
> IE is indeed a POS.
>
> It looks like it completely ignores the Content-Type
> headers and it just scans the beginning of the file.

You know what's great about that?  It's not a bug, it's a feature.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/networking/moniker/overview/appendix_a.asp

Internet Explorer BY DESIGN ignores the content-type and decides for
itself what to do with the file.  Their reasoning?  "this type of
behavior is necessary to identify a .gif file being sent as text/html"

*shakes head*

Good luck with the newline issue; sorry I don't have any advice to offer :)

Bean