tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Html files not displayed with webapp
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:43:37 GMT
Matthias,

> Its from Apache. If I use a URL for any existing or non existing page in
> the examples (mapped to Tomcat) that ends with html, then Apache gives
> an 404 error, if the page does not end with html then it is found if it
> exists or Tomcat gives the 404 error if it does not exist.

But if you transliterate any .html URL to .htm, then it works? Bizarre.

> The Apache access_log:
> 192.168.1.254 - - [30/Oct/2003:14:53:52 +0100] "GET
> /examples/jsp/index.html HTTP/1.1" 404 335

At least it's looking for .html files.. that's good... sorta.

What DocumentRoot or Alias do you have, and what's the real path of the
file that should be served by "/examples/jsp/index.html".

> Sometimes but not at the same time I have following error in the Tomcat
> logs directory for the webapp connector:
> 2003-10-30 14:54:10 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection]
> Exception on socket
> java.io.IOException: Premature packet header end

Now that's interesting, too.

> I don't have an access log for Tomcat

But it shouldn't matter, because Apache should be serving the html file,
right?

> I am not using [mod_rewrite]. Apache itself has no problems with html files, only
> if they come from Tomcat

Oh.. so you *are* serving html files from Tomcat. Might I ask why?

>>Did you copy this installation from anywhere else?
>
> No, only the httpd.conf from another installation

Can you double-check for all instances of "html" in your httpd.conf. It
sounds like the httpd.conf is translating .html->.htm and perhaps even
.htm->.html

The last thing I can think of is that your build process is, for some
reason, renaming these files. You're not deploying to a network share or
anything that might re-name files as you copy them, are you? (Probably
not). Sorry, I'm just reaching.. 'cause this doesn't make much sense.

-chris