tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Klein <mikekl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Defining JNDI DataSource...why decl'd/def'd in server.xml and not in web.xml.
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:30:25 GMT
I like to make my web applications and their corresponding
installations/deployments as modular/atomic as possible. I like hot
deployments, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, every application I've seen that uses Tomcat JNDI
DataSources requires hand-editing of server.xml...and then a reference
to the resource in web.xml of web application.

Why can't I describe the JNDI DataSource in the web.xml of my web
application? I didn't notice this possibility in dtd for web.xml.

As an example, I recently installed JUDDI, a Java application that
manages a uddi registry. It came as a self-contained web application
(directory or .war), and after dropping it into webapps directory...I
still had to hand-edit server.xml to describe its connection to database
and it was done in a context only applying to juddi web app. This seems
error-prone and just not clean/modular.

I would understand defining JNDI datasources available to ALL web
applications via Tomcat's admin or via the server.xml....but why when
it's per web application?

Please correct my thinking...

thanks in advance,

mike