tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: xhtml and Internet Explorer
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:12:42 GMT
Marius,
> I am using Tomcat 4.0.5 with JBoss 3.0.3 under
> Win2K and I am trying to generate XHTML pages
> with JSP.
>
> Everything is fine with Mozilla, but IE keeps
> showing the pages as raw XML.

That's because IE ignores the Content-Type header and just looks at the
first few bytes of the file to decide how to display it. What a POS.
Anyway...

> I know that this issue came up before on this
> list, but the solution suggested previously
> (adding a page directive with the content type)
> does not work.

IE still ignores the Content-Type.

> I checked the headers sent by the server (using
> LiveHTTPHeaders in Mozilla) and everything seems
> to be OK. The content type is text/html; charset=UTF-8
>
> The content generated by the JSP page is valid
> XHTML. I saved it to a file and when loaded from
> the file system it is rendered properly by IE.

What does the first line in your document look like? Do you have a
<!DOCTYPE> in there, or do you start with an <html> header?

-chris