tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: session hijacking and tying session to IP address with filter
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:23:29 GMT
On 10/28/2003 12:06 PM Tim Funk wrote:
> I think they can and you'll break AOL users. AOL and other large
> entities sometimes employ megaproxies where the user might appear to be
> coming from different ip addresses.

OK I guess if I write a filter to reject requests where the IP address
doesn't match the one in the session, then I can always make an
exception for AOL browsers - assuming I can identify them from the
browser user-agent or the IP address range.

As Christopher says I guess I can do security reviews at regular
intervals to see if it's a problem.

> The guaranteed way to prevent session hijacking is by using ssl. (And
> making sure your site is not victim to css attacks)

I can't see using SSL for whole session being acceptable - perhaps
generally the public usage will go this way, but at the moment that
would just be giving fuel to some web-site reviewer to criticise my site
for being over-anal about security. Plus it actually would be anal - I
don't need to protect from session hijacking so badly that I encrypt the
whole lot.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2