tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: [OT] log4j to file or db -- which will be faster
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:25:19 GMT
A file will be faster unless your file system is really crappy or you are
writing to a nfs mounted or other remote filesystem. (Even then it will still
probably faster).

IIRC, there is an ASyncronous appender which is a layer between your logging
code and the real logger. What it does is queue up all writes so your
application code can execute as quickly as possible. But it can only be
configured via an XML file, not via properties files.

-Tim

Prabhat Kumar (IT) wrote:
> I know that this is too generic a question, but we have a requirement to log informational
messages in our application about why certain actions were performed or not. We are considering
using either a FileAppender or a JDBCAppender. Which one do you think will be a faster operation
under load? I guess one way to find out would be to actually try it out, but was wondering
if you guys had thoughts about it.