tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "zuhans@iname.com" <zuh...@iname.com>
Subject Re: does tomcat work without apache? ... a real beginner asks some basic!?
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:33:09 GMT
hello shapira - and greetings and thank to ann -,

thank you for your time spent on my problem.

here are more details:

1. the long line in server.xml, where i declared the context for "sygenews":
<Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
cachingAllowed="true"
    charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"
cookies="true"
    crossContext="true" debug="0"
    docBase="C:\Programme\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\sygenews"
    mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextMapper"
    path="/sygenews" privileged="false" reloadable="true"
swallowOutput="false"
    useNaming="true"
wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper">
</Context>
the directory-name is sygenews, the war-file-name is sygenews.war, and i
want it to place beneath "webapps"-dir in tomcat.

as i told you: with localhost:8080/sygenews the index.jsp was found,
but: my "/formates.css" - link didn't work - wrong font appeared.
why could this be?

and the next problem (as you thought): the link
"/servlet/sygenews.index" (/WEB-INF/classes/sygenews/index.class) was
not found - it showed: localhost:8080/servlet/sygenews.index not available.

in netbeans i have a project: sygenews, there are the files in normal
order: /*.jsp, /WEB-INF/classes/*.java, *.class. i right-clicked on
document-root and chose: make war-file (or similar); the war-file was made.
in tomcat i installed it in the manager-mask (upload a war-file to
install - out of my project-dir).
it installed "ok", i clicked the new link and there it was... (as i
described above).

in netbeans it worked - i copied already the server.xml-file from
netbeans to tomcat, but the result was the same.

now to the path-question:
i coded every link as "/...". i want to be sure, that the searching
should begin on top to find everything (out of sub-dirs). is this so
wrong? isn't it un-sure where i will go, if i write "../..."?
and - sorry for repeating - in nb it works.

must i declare a special connector?
what is the right mapping of servlets in my web.xml? is this one ok:
<servlet-class>sygenews.news</servlet-class>
<url-pattern>/servlet/sygenews.news</url-pattern>

so did i in my project-web.xml (but somehow blind, by hand...).

bye
hans

Shapira, Yoav schrieb:

>Howdy,
>

>>i downloaded the lastes tomcat-version (for windows xp!), installed it
>>right as the installer did. called once "localhost" and i got the
>>greeting-screen from tomcat (meant: installation was ok!).
>>

>Good.
>

>>but then the problems began. how to get my  site into tomcat. all the
>>ways i tried failed. there was always the same problem: the
>>/<mywar>/index.jsp was found, but the other files weren't: instead of
so with