tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Watler <rwat...@finali.com>
Subject Re: linux : Limit of file descriptor
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:33:44 GMT
Francois,

For what it is worth, we run vanilla RedHat 8.0 servers and have to bump
up the number handles available to Tomcat using ulimit, (otherwise it is
limited to ~1024). We have a complex application that does a lot of
proxied access work. Despite that, we have only run out of file
descriptors once in several years during what we think was a DOS attack.
Remember, each socket gets a file descriptor as well.

It seems unlikely that the FDs are being consumed by Tomcat if your log
files look normal. Does the number of file handles climb steadily over
time or rapidly balloon beyond norms on startup? What build of Linux is
on the box in question?

Randy Watler
Finali Corporation