tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject encrypting a form's action URL with HTTPS link
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:48:24 GMT

Hi All,

I am trying to work out whether my form submission is sent encrypted in
SSL or not.

If I code my form like this:

<form method="POST" action="https://localhost:8443/sslform">

will it actually be encrypted?

When I click submit, the browser pops up a certificate dialog box (since
I'm not using verisign) and then the message that I'm visiting a secure
form.

This makes me think that the request has been sent unencrypted first to
the server, which has responded in SSL with the certificate.

Is that so?

Thanks
Adam

PS is there a tool like wget or perhaps a way of using wget, where I can
specify form elements in a request and see the contents & config of the
server's response?

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9