tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <>
Subject encrypting a form's action URL with HTTPS link
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:48:24 GMT

Hi All,

I am trying to work out whether my form submission is sent encrypted in
SSL or not.

If I code my form like this:

<form method="POST" action="https://localhost:8443/sslform">

will it actually be encrypted?

When I click submit, the browser pops up a certificate dialog box (since
I'm not using verisign) and then the message that I'm visiting a secure

This makes me think that the request has been sent unencrypted first to
the server, which has responded in SSL with the certificate.

Is that so?

PS is there a tool like wget or perhaps a way of using wget, where I can
specify form elements in a request and see the contents & config of the
server's response?

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

To unsubscribe, e-mail: