tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@jboss.org>
Subject Re: tomcat jitters, then hangs - please help
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:39:13 GMT
Noam Camiel wrote:
> On Thursday, October 09, 2003 5:11 PM "Ryan Lissack"
> <rlissack@buildonline.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Noam,
>>
>>We have experienced similar problems.  You will notice in the thread dump
>>that there is no thread from the connectors thread pool waiting on an
>>accept
>

> I see your what you mean, I compared the thread dump to a "good" dump when
> the server is operational and there indeed I found a thread from the
> connectors thread pool waiting on accept:
>
> 3XMTHREADINFO      "http80-Processor24" (TID:0x100688E0,
> sys_thread_t:0x87810C0, state:R, native ID:0x41CCCF40) prio=5
> 4XESTACKTRACE          at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native
> Method)
>
> This does not appear to exist in the "bad" dump.

It is very surprising that the connector will manage to exit the accept
loop without logging some kind of error (which would be in catalina.out,
rather than in the main logs). Do you see some stack trace originating
from the PoolTcpEndpoint or ThreadPool classes ?

>>What OS are you on, RH9??
>
> Yes, Im on RH9.
>
> Any ideas why this could happen?  could it be some system resource limit?
> Is your application an intensive app? My application is not an intensive one
> and the hangs occur hours after i start the server (usually a day later).

No idea at this point. Most (all) such reports were for RH 9. All also
mention a period of about a day before an incident.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Re'my Maucherat