tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <>
Subject configuration of page encoding in tomcat 5
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:40:41 GMT
I'm testing the character encoding configuration in tomcat 5 in the
deployment descriptor.

I'm using Struts - Tiles servlets and normal JSPs.

I'm using the <locale-encoding-mapping-list/> and the <jsp-config/> .

If I leave out the pageEncoding page directive from the JSPs and I leave
out the <page-encoding> tag from the <jsp-config>, with the
configuration below, the returned content-type http header is purely
'text/html' with no character set.

I.e. tomcat ignores the <locale-encoding-mapping-list/>

Is this intentional? Is the <locale-encoding-mapping-list/> overriden by
the JSP page, which has no page encoding set?

I've got the following config:

         Trial run

I'm using

wget -S --header='Accept-Language: de' http://localhost:8080/

to read the headers, if that makes any difference.

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: