tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Caroline Jen <jiapei_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Could Not Start The Tomcat Server After Commenting Out Realm in the server.xml For Using JDBCRealm
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:32:33 GMT
Tim, sorry, I do not understand "Since you didn't
replace your connection information with the dummy
JDBCRealm placeholder, the connection failed to the
database."

Now, I am testing the Tomcat using the existing code
in the server.xml file by simply removing the
surroundinging <!--  and -->. (I understand what you
said about &amp;)

I could not start the Tomcat server.

1) I put <!-- and --> around the UserDababaseRealm as
shown below:

<!--
<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
           debug="0"
resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
-->

2) I removed the <!-- and --> around the JDBCRealm
for MySql (I do not insert any of my code, I simply
use the existing code in the server.xml).  See below:

<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
          debug="99"
driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"
    userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
                      userCredCol="user_pass"
userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

I saved the file and I could not start the Tomcat
server.

-Caroline

--- Tim Funk <funkman@joedog.org> wrote:
> Tomcat won't start up if the Realm can't start up.
> Since you didn't replace
> your connection information with the dummy JDBCRealm
> placeholder, the
> connection failed to the database.
>
> As for the &, in your connection string in your
> older email had:

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?user=javauser&password=javadude"

> Which should be:

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?user=javauser&amp;password=javadude"

(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html).