tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Equipment Lamp <>
Subject Re: What LDAP servers does JNDI realm support? -
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:07:33 GMT
Can youguys give some input on the following. I am using the following
Tomcat: 4.1.27-LE-jdk14
Apache: 2.0.47
Java : 1.4.2
Linux OS: 7.3
iPlanet LDAP Server
I am trying to configure LDAP authentication mechanism to my application.
1) In this regard i have downloaded the latest JNDI API and then copied the ldap.jar file
to $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib directory.
2) The i have added the following entry to the server.xml file.
       <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
3) In my application "web.xml" file i have added the following

But authentication is not working, any debug techniques or methods will be a great help.

jerome moliere <> wrote:
Davi Leal wrote:

>jerome moliere wrote:
>>> I am trying to authenticate my webapps via a JNDI Realm, which connects
>>>to Microsoft Site Server (LDAP).
>>> As I am getting [LDAP: error code 2 - Protocol Error] (See below), I
>>>would like to know if that Micro$oft product is a certified LDAP server.
>>as fai as i Know, like any other microsoft product, partially... :)
>I have been told the LDAP protocol is no-100% a standard. That is to say, a
>lot of providers have realized different offers, which share only 90% of the
>specification (the core standard).
>Nowdays, it is said, the Netscape's one being the more recognised/compatible/
>So, my question is now: What LDAP products does the JNDI Tomcat realm support?
No problem with OpenLDAP ('from my experience), NDS or Sun
implementations seem to work nicely.
For microsoft active directory is quite a LDAP server, but you can't use
the referral paradigm

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

Do you Yahoo!?