tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Caroline Jen <jiapei_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Could Not Start The Tomcat Server After Commenting Out Realm in the server.xml For Using JDBCRealm
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:07:07 GMT
I encountered this problem:

I followed the instructions on using the JDBCRealm
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html).
 I prepared userTable and userRoleTable tables.
However, I could not start the Tomcat server after I
inserted

[CODE]
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
debug="99"
    driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?user=javauser&password=javadude"
    userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_password"
    userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="user_role"/>
[/CODE]

within the <Engine> tag in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file.

I first inserted the aforementioned Realm within the
<context> tag in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml
and I was unable to start the Tomcat server.  I then
moved the Realm inside the <Engine> tag, but it did
not help.

By the way, do you think the user and password given
in the JDBCRealm are correct?  I configured database
username and password for use by Tomcat in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml in the following way
and I have used this database many times without
problem.

[CODE]
        <DefaultContext>
	      <Resource name="jdbc/MySQLDB" auth="Container"
		  type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
	      <ResourceParams name="jdbc/MySQLDB">
                  <parameter>
                        <name>factory</name>

                  </parameter>
		  <parameter>
		  	<name>driverClassName</name>
		  	<value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
		  </parameter>
		  <parameter>
		   	<name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?autoReconnect=true</value>
		  </parameter>
		  <parameter>
		    	<name>username</name>
		    	<value>javauser</value>