tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <>
Subject RE: UNIX+Apache+Tomcat Situtation
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:51:24 GMT

> I would suggest that you always run tomcat as the tomcat user, and
> make
> developer and root start it as the tomcat user.
> That can be easily done with a startup script instead of calling
> $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/ directly or whatever it is.
> I would make sure that the directories all have the tomcat user as the
> owner and group, and then add root and developer to that group.

To help in this situation, you can also use the group permissions. I set up umask to 002 and
added a sgid bit to all the CATALINA_BASE directories. This way, tomcat user can always overwrite
files even if they were created by another user.

Regarding modifying, I suggest you use a wrapper like I mentioned before, that
manage all the environment variables and then call the out of the box Much more
portable when upgrading tomcat.

Hope this helps.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: