tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matthias Schulz" <sch...@gaf.de>
Subject RE: Html files not displayed with webapp
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:58:23 GMT
Chris,
> > Its from Apache. If I use a URL for any existing or non
> existing page
> > in the examples (mapped to Tomcat) that ends with html, then Apache
> > gives an 404 error, if the page does not end with html then it is
> > found if it exists or Tomcat gives the 404 error if it does
> not exist.
>
> But if you transliterate any .html URL to .htm, then it
> works? Bizarre.

No its not only the URL I have to change. I have to rename all the html
files to htm and then of course use htm in the URL. Of course this could
be an approach to get my things work but I would like to understand
this.

> > The Apache access_log:
> > 192.168.1.254 - - [30/Oct/2003:14:53:52 +0100] "GET
> > /examples/jsp/index.html HTTP/1.1" 404 335
>
> At least it's looking for .html files.. that's good... sorta.
>
> What DocumentRoot or Alias do you have, and what's the real
> path of the
> file that should be served by "/examples/jsp/index.html".

DocumentRoot "/usr/local/httpd/htdocs"
The path is /opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/examples/jsp/index.html

Therefore I have following lines in my http.conf:

WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
WebAppInfo webapp-info

> > Sometimes but not at the same time I have following error in the
> > Tomcat logs directory for the webapp connector: 2003-10-30 14:54:10
> > [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection]
> > Exception on socket
> > java.io.IOException: Premature packet header end
>
> Now that's interesting, too.
>
> > I don't have an access log for Tomcat
>
> But it shouldn't matter, because Apache should be serving the
> html file,
> right?
>
> > I am not using [mod_rewrite]. Apache itself has no problems
> with html
> > files, only if they come from Tomcat
>
> Oh.. so you *are* serving html files from Tomcat. Might I ask why?
It's just to get the Tomcat examples working also when using it together
with Apache. I don't want to begin using a technology for our website
which seems to have problems with the examples shown in any tutorial,
unless I get them solved.

> >>Did you copy this installation from anywhere else?
> >
> > No, only the httpd.conf from another installation
>
> Can you double-check for all instances of "html" in your
> httpd.conf. It
> sounds like the httpd.conf is translating .html->.htm and
> perhaps even
> .htm->.html

There is nothing like that, as I said above the URL and the file name
have to be the same, could be .htm or .txt as filename and at the same
time as URL. But if I use .html as filename and URL I get the 404 from
Apache

> The last thing I can think of is that your build process is, for some
> reason, renaming these files. You're not deploying to a
> network share or
> anything that might re-name files as you copy them, are you?
> (Probably
> not). Sorry, I'm just reaching.. 'cause this doesn't make much sense.
No, nothing like that

> -chris

Thanks, Matthias