tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Clustering Tomcat - Loadbalancing and Failover
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:20:10 GMT
http://cvs.apache.org/~fhanik/

>         how are session states replicated?

once, after the entire request is completed. If the session is not dirty, no
replication will be done

Doesn't use java groups, instead pure UDP/TCP.

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "jerome moliere" <jmoliere@nerim.net>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: Clustering Tomcat - Loadbalancing and Failover

Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

Hello,

> What is available, in Tomcat, or as an add-on, and preferably
> free/open-source to cluster tomcat for:
>     load balancing
>     fail over

humm filip hanik could answer with more details (or remy maucherat) but
as far as I know new Tomcat 5 code (backported to 4.1) use
 the Javagroups library for replication mechanism. For tomcat 4.1,
adding jars (javagroups + patch) is enough to add theses features...
For tomcat 5, nothing needed because it's one of the new features...

>         how are session states replicated?

It's one of the limits of this system, because every put made, induces
replication for the entire object using broadcast (by default). So heavy
traffic...

> Also, in general, and a bit off-topic (my apologies), are there any
> resources for the design, or open source implementation, of load
> balancing / fail-over frameworks?

javagroups :)
google may point you to the current address !!!
I think that this porject recently joined the JBOSS project

> Thanks

Jerome