tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thierry Thelliez" ...@iwapps.com>
Subject RE: Java/JSP/Servlet Programmer
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:28:18 GMT
I personally do not care much if the person I interview knows about such or
such latest api. Rejecting a person because he/she gets stuck on a technical
question is no relevant. You have to look at learning, abstraction,
adaptation, communication abilities. You have probably already rejected
great potential contributors.

Hiring someone just because of a particular technical knowledge is asking
for troubles.

Once I had a developer who knew Java much better than anybody else in the
team. The problem is that he could not understand where we wanted to go
because he was just looking at the technology. His contributions ended up
being less than the not-so-skilled java developers.

Another time I gave the chance to a young guy out of high school. He knew
about nothing about programming languages but he strucked me as a problem
solver. After one month in the team he knew more that the senior developers
about the project and even if he did not know about the lastest tech issues,
he solved the different problems you have in daily IT work in a more
efficient manner.

Finally, even though I use JSP, I have the tendency of building frameworks
asap to focus on real business issues. I will probably fail your tests
although I built a framework on top of Tomcat to help my web developer focus
on the customer issues.

Of course, if you are trying to build technology such as a JSP and/or a
J2EE, you do need deeper tech knowledge. Still I will argue that solving
problems is more important than narrow tech knowledge.

Thierry