tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Kennedy" <j...@gigaheads.com>
Subject Determining remote user and inrole for unprotected pages
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:28:25 GMT
I have recently noticed that when you have a site with both protected and
unprotected pages that getRemoteUser returns null on the unprotected pages
eventhough I have authenticated against a protected page.  isUserInRole also
does not work.

Is there a way I can determine who is logged in when I access an unprotected
url?

To answer my own Q, I supose I could create an object and store it in the
session then access later, but is there another way?

Ultimately I would like to present a dynamic menu in which administrators
see a different menu than regular joe users.  The menu is part of every page
in this case.  I would simple like to hide "admin only" sections so regular
users don't see them.