tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Graham Reeds" <grahamtom...@omnieng.co.uk>
Subject Newbie Question: Tomcat 3.2.3 + JDK1.3.1_09 + Win2K
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:09:03 GMT
I finally got Tomcat working last night.  Nothing odd in that, you'd think,
but the problems I have been having is quite frustrating.  The reason was I
would get a 'Unable to find "Program "' message when trying to start the
Tomcat server.  However, at various stages of installation things would
seemingly work fine.

So I sat down with a clean system.  I had removed all traces of JDK and
Tomcat (not that there was any) from my registry and installed them both to
their default locations, "C:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3" and
"C:\jdk1.3.1_09".  I then Modified the scripts and stuff to point to these
locations (as mentioned in this tutorial: ) and it worked fine: I compiled a
couple of scripts and ran them.  I then rebooted and tried again.  Still
worked.

Then I moved Tomcat to "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3"
and modified the
scripts accordingly.  That worked (I could view the sample pages and compile
my own), so I rebooted and tried again.  That worked too.

I then uninstalled the JDK, rebooted and installed the JDK to "C:\Program
Files\jdk1.3.1_09", modified the scripts and hey presto!  It wouldn't work.
I double checked the scripts.  I rebooted, and it still didn't work.

Uninstalled and reinstalled JDK to root, changed the scripts and then it
worked.  Conclusion: I think that Tomcat 3.2.3 has a flaw that can't work
with the JDK having spaces in its JAVA_HOME path, but it can have spaces in
the TOMCAT_HOME path.

The reason I am not using a version higher than 3.2.3 is that I have seen
enough to know that the layout of the file system can change drastically
between versions in the same release and I'd rather work with an identical
system to my Service Provider.  And the reason I want the JDK in Program
Files is that I like to have a clean PC with an elegant filing system.
Having something break that system is irritating.

So my question is:  Is it possible to run Tomcat 3.2.3 with the JDK
installed to some where other than Root which has spaces in the directory
path (i.e: 'Program Files') ?

--

Graham Reeds,
grahamr@omnieng.co.uk | http://omnieng.co.uk