tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Noam Camiel" <n...@mdrm.com>
Subject Re: tomcat jitters, then hangs - please help
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:46:21 GMT
Hi,

On Friday, October 10, 2003 11:09 AM "Ryan Lissack"
<rlissack@buildonline.com>  wrote:

> Remy pointed out to me previously that RH9 uses a new form of threading
and
> based on this we have done some investigation.
>
> RH9 uses NTPL (Native POSIX Thread Library)
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/release-notes/x86/
>
> It is possible to revert to the older form of threading, "LinuxThreads",
by
> setting an environment variable, namely:
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=<kernel-version>
> - 2.4.1 - Linuxthreads with floating stacks
> - 2.2.5 - Linuxthreads without floating stacks
>
> This does not revert back to an older kernel, it just changes the GNU C
> library used http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtc/
>
> We will be testing with these settings starting today and, if we continue
> have problems, we will be trying another distro.

setting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable, the server is now running over 24
hours strait.
Still, nothing conclusive as of yet......
Ryan, thanks for the information above.  Do you have move information
regarding this configuration? do you still encounter problems?

On Monday, October 13, 2003 9:59 PM "Joe Zendle" <joe.zendle@vericept.com>
wrote:

> We had the same problem w/ TC 4.1.27, sun jvm 1.4.2 and redhat 9. The
> thing wouldn't work for more than about 12 hours. IMHO, there are some
> fundamental problems with tomcat as of late. Hate to say it but we
> solved the problem by throwing away tomcat and using jetty! We are very
> pleased so far. Jetty is very fast and about 1/3 the memory footprint.
>
> Good luck.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for sharing the info, I am considering what you suggest as well.
As a last try before moving away from Tomcat, I'm trying out the suggestion
from Ryan above.
Regards,
Noam.