tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: class files being cached?
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:51:18 GMT
Finally a CL question I know ;-).
Replies below.

"Mike Millson" <mmillson@meritonlinesystems.com> wrote in message
news:1062881397.2361.22.camel@localhost.localdomain...
> I have a tomcat 3.3.1 application that I suspect might be caching old
> class files.
>
> The application consists of about 50 servlet classes (I'm using straight
> servlets, not JSPs) deployed as a jar file. When I update the jar file,
> I think some of the old classes are not being replaced w/ the new ones.

Have you checked that you aren't connecting via a Proxy-Server, and that the
caching is actually being done by the Proxy?

> Will any of the following cause servlet classes to be cached between
> stop/starts:
>
> 1) Not clearing the /work directory. Can this directory have anything to
> do with servlets being cached? Or does tomcat strictly use it to compile
> JSPs?

Tomcat 3.3.x only uses the work directory for JSPs.  Of course, your
servlets can use it for anything that they want.

> 2) Storing old jar files in the WEB-INF/lib with extensions other than
> .jar. For example, can I rename app.jar to app.jar.20030906 and leave it
> in WEB-INF/lib along with the new app.jar file, or could this cause
> servlet caching issues?

Any file in WEB-INF/lib that doesn't end in '.jar' is simply ignored.