tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Eric J. Pinnell" <e...@iCky.org>
Subject Re: Socket Problem with tomcat on Solaris 8
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:03:26 GMT
Hi,

Other people have had this problem.  You might want to try Tomcat 4.1.27
as it has a number of Coyote fixes.

As for Solaris settings here are some that I use:  (excuse the cut and
paste)

Install Patch IDs
103582-12 or better -SynFlood & Listen Queue management fix
103597-04 or better -TCP patch
104212-13 or better -HME half/full duplex negotiation patch
103093 Required for Netscape 3.x

In /etc/system
set tcp:tcp_conn_hash_size=8192
set ncsize = 30000
set ufs_inode = 30000

set rlim_fd_max=4096
Changes the maximum allow files open per process

set rlim_fd_cur=1024
Changes the current open files per process

set autoup=240
Number of seconds in age for a memory page to be written to disk

set tune_t_fsflushr=120
Number of seconds between wake up times for the fsflush daemon

NDD Settings

tcp_close_wait_interval to 70000 - miliseconds to wait before reclaiming
the so cket resource

tcp_fin_wait_2_flush_interval to 25000 - miliseconds to wait before
closing soc ket resources that have missed a FIN packet

ip_path_mtu_discovery to 0 - turn off MTU discovery - must retune for IPV6

tcp_conn_req_max_q to 512 - max number of queue size for holding partially
star ted connections

tcp_conn_req_max_q0 to 1024 - number of connections to wait holding before
serv er issues an "unable to connect to server" message

tcp_xmit_hiwat to 65535

tcp_recv_hiwat to 65535 increases the size of the send and receive buffers

tcp_cwnd_max to 65535 - increases the congestion window size used with
congesti on avoidance and slow start - prevents byte overflows in the tcp
stack

tcp_keepalive_interval to 90000 - miliseconds of idle time on keepalive
connect ions

tcp_ip_abort_interval to 90000 - miliseconds of time retransmissions for
connec tions in Established state should be retried. Cleans up hung
connections on web
 servers.

tcp_ip_abort_cinterval - 60000 - miliseconds of time retransmissions in
connect ions started but not established will continue. Protects from over
powerful SYN flood attacks as well as dropped proxy connections.

tcp_rexmit_interval_initial to 3000 - miliseconds before a retransmit is
sent -needs to be lowed due to Internet latency

tcp_rexmit_interval_min to 3000 - see above

tcp_rexmit_interval_max to 5000 - see above

tcp_conn_grace_period to 500

ip_ignore_redirect to 1 - ignores IP level redirects

tcp_slow_start_initial to 2 - Microsoft & BSD TCP/IP implementations do
not follow the RFC (2001) for TCP/IP. When communicating with Solaris
this causes a 1- 2 second delay in web page delivery. This fixes.

tcp_deferred_ack_interval to 300 - miliseconds before sending delayed ack
allow s ACK and response to be combined in 1 send for many HTTP requests

-e