tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Lenz" <ML...@piercemfg.com>
Subject Re: TRACE/TRACK methods
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:07:01 GMT

I'm not sure exactly how to do this.  The Servlet Spec is pretty vague on
how to add a security-constraint denying access via an http-method.  Could
you give me an example?
Thanks.

Mark Lenz
Software Engineer
Control Systems Group
Pierce Manufacturing, Inc.
(920) 832-3523
mlenz@piercemfg.com

|         |           Tim Funk         |
|         |           <funkman@joedog.o|
|         |           rg>              |
|         |           09/11/2003 11:44 |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
                                      |
  |       cc:
                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: TRACE/TRACK methods
                                |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You can add a security constraint in web.xml to disable TRACE.

-Tim

Mark Lenz wrote:
> Our company conducted a security audit and Tomcat was reported as
> supporting TRACE and TRACK.  It said, "It has been shown that servers
> supporting this method are subject to cross-site-scripting attacks,
dubbed
> XST for 'Cross-Site-Tracing', when used in conjunction with various
> weaknesses in browsers."  I have been assigned the task of turning off
this
> support, but I have searched Google, tomcat-user archives and the Tomcat
> documentation to no avail.  Does anyone know how to disable these
methods?
> Thanks.

The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential
information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above, and may be privileged.  If the reader of this message is not the
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please  contact the sender
immediately, delete this material from your computer and destroy all
related paper media.  Please note that the documents transmitted are not
intended to be binding until a hard copy has been manually signed by all
parties.
Thank you.