tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Wulff <oliver.wu...@zurich.ch>
Subject Antwort: Re: Antwort: Migration from 4.1.x to Tomcat 5
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:28:47 GMT

We had something similar in our company too, but we want to get rid of
custom security code (proprietary). The Java developer should have to
possibility to use the Java Servlet API for security issues (web.xml,
isUserInRole(), getUserPrincipal(), etc.). We have integrated our
authentication/authorization system by a custom realm. So, the life of the
Java developer gets much easier (built on pure standard) and makes him
independant from company specific systems and code. So we could migrate to
another security system without any changes to the application code. We
only have to change the realm and our Tomcat package.

BTW, JAAS is getting more and more important. A lot of security system
provider are also providing a JAAS LoginModul to integrate their security
system (ex. IONA ISF) into different application container. JBoss and BEA
are already supporting JAAS. Tomcat does have a JAAS Realm too but I think
it's beta.
I guess, that JAAS will be part of the J2EE spec in the future - would make
sense, wouldn't it?

Oliver

Oliver Wulff
Zürich Versicherungs-Gesellschaft
IA4, CoC Middleware
Postfach, 8085 Zürich
Telefon: +41- 1 628 58 07
Fax: +41 - 1 623 58 07
E-Mail: mailto:oliver.wulff@zurich.ch

                      "Marco Tedone"

                      <mtedone@jemos.o         An:      "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      rg>                      Kopie:

                                               Thema:   Re: Antwort: Migration from 4.1.x
to Tomcat 5
                      28.09.2003 14:10

                      Bitte antworten

                      an "Tomcat Users

                      List"

I implemented a security model independent from the container. Basically it
is based on db/validation and session management through taglibs to
display/allow functionalities to authorized users.

Marco