tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marion McKelvie" <mar...@streamlet.co.uk>
Subject mapping a servlet to multiple urls
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:54:47 GMT

I think I may be misunderstanding how to map multiple urls to a servlet.  I
have a very simple servlet which when I use the following mapping (for
context prj)

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>myServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/servlet/fred</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

everything works fine and I can see my servlet output at /prj/servlet/fred.

If I try

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>myServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

I can only see my servlet output at a url of /prj/servlet/* ie with an
actual asterisk in the url.  I thought the * acts as a wildcard and I was
hoping to see my servlet output at urls such as /prj/servlet/fred and
/prj/servlet/freddy

I am using Tomcat 5 (standalone, not with httpd) as downloaded with Sun's
web services development kit.

Is it correct to expect that mapping to map the servlet to /prj/servlet/fred
and /prj/servlet/freddy?  If so, what am I missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Marion