tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Wood" <d...@woodtopia.org>
Subject RE: SSL/Verisign Confusion
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:21:01 GMT
FINALLY!

I still don't know what I did wrong in the first place, but after starting
over with VeriSign, all is well now.  I thought I'd share the (simple!)
steps I took to get SSL running using keytool/tomcat in case anyone else
might find this useful:

# keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
[enter a password and all necessary information, then just <enter> at next
password prompt]
# cp ~/.keystore ~/.keystore-backup
# keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file certreq.csr
[enter same password]
[give contents of certreq.csr to VeriSign and wait for response...]
[NOTE: when asked to select my server software, I chose "apache" since they
didn't have Tomcat in their list...I don't know if this matters, but it
worked]
# keytool -import -trustcacerts -file intermediate.crt -alias root
[enter same password]
[NOTE: intermediate.crt is the file found here:
http://www.verisign.com/support/install/intermediate.html]
# keytool -import trustcacerts -file public.crt -alias tomcat
[enter same password]
[where public.crt is the certificate sent from VeriSign after they complete
their approval process]
[finally, edit ...tomcat/conf/server.xml and enable the SSL connector
section, adding keystorePass="[password]"
as an attribute to the Factory tag]

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions along the way.

Dave