tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Boemio, Neil (GEI, FGI)" <Neil.Boe...@ge.com>
Subject Apache Authentication with Tomcat
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:16:34 GMT
I'm trying to protect a /downloads url in apache.   My webapp in Tomcat is in ROOT.  So in
the workers2.properties file under apache, I have:

# Map the webapp to the Web server uri space
[uri:/*]
info=my website

So my app is working fine .... requests for /* are passed to Tomcat and things are wonderful.
But I want to protect /downloads using apache.  But there really is no directory under apache
called \apache\apache2\htdocs\downloads.  There is no need for one since requests are sent
to Tomcat.  The real directory is \Tomcat4.1\webapps\ROOT\downloads.

When I remove [uri:/*] from workers2.properties and create a dummy htdocs\downloads directory
under apache, the apache authentication works fine.  But when I put [uri:/*] back, I do not
get prompted for ID/Password.  Here is what I have in httpd.conf.  Any ideas?

<Directory d:\Apache\Apache2\htdocs\downloads>
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "FGIC Downloads"
    AuthUserFile d:\apache\apache2\conf\passwords
    AuthGroupFile d:\apache\apache2\conf\groups
    Require group FGICMoodys
</Directory>

I tried using: <Directory d:\Tomcat4.1\webapps\ROOT\downloads> but that didn't work.
 Ideally, I want to tell apache to protect a URL not a file system path, but obviously, that
is not the syntax for the Directory directive.

Windows 2000
Tomcat 4.1.27
Apache 2.0.47
JK2 2.0.43