tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sudhir Movva <SMo...@acninc.com>
Subject RE: JSP vs C#/.NET
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:02:35 GMT
Please do not make this a politics discussion list. Decisions to use a
technology is made based on many factors (which technology suits the
requirements and preference of an enterprise as a whole, availability of
resources in that technology, support provided, confidence of the
customers... many more....). Bias towards Java or MS doesn't have to do with
decision making, as it's not one person's decision.

-Sudhir.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Birchler [mailto:jrbirchler@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 11:02 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: JSP vs C#/.NET

M$ thinks they can take on the US justice department and doesn't mind
offshoring jobs from the US. I'd say that the eventual backlash of that
political reality will hurt them if the majority of American people believe
that can they elect people who will represent them--That could be a stretch.

Otherwise, .Net will take hold and dominate, especially if Sun Microsystems
and IBM does nothing to improve the performance of the virtual machine, and
the US Congress does nothing to protect its citizens from the exploits of
globalization. Oddly enough, the few IT jobs I see in America these days are
both .Net and Java.

I love Java, but I am willing to learn .Net as means to survive a hostile
market. In fact, I have already written my share of C# and VB.NET. It makes
me sick, but I'm not going to obselete myself. Let's just hope that the US
government goes after Linux for the obvious reasons and that this push
results in the advances that us Java lovers  would all benefit from.