tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Haug Thomas <thomas.h...@siemens.com>
Subject Socket Problem with tomcat on Solaris 8
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:44:00 GMT
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with tomcat 4.1.24 running on Solaris 8 (with JDK
1.4.1_02).
A client of mine is sending requests to the Tomcat instance in a loop (but
sequentially). After a while the client receives a java.net.ConnectException
with the error message
"Connection timed out: connect". On the server side I do not find any
exception trace in the log files of the Tomcat instance. The only remarkable
thing I detected is that there are thousands of sockets in the TIME WAIT
state: netstat -a | grep "8080" results in
myserver.8080 myclient.1679  7480      0 24820      0 TIME_WAIT
myserver.8080 myclient.1680  7480      0 24820      0 TIME_WAIT
myserver.8080 myclient.1680  7480      0 24820      0 TIME_WAIT
... [many more of these lines]
After a while these sockets get collected by the OS. Then the client runs
again without getting a connection exception (at least for a while then the
'process' repeats).

Has anybody of you experienced a similar behaviour ?
Has anybody of you a solution to this problem: Do I need to configure Tomcat
in a special way or is it a problem of the OS and I have to configure the OS
accordingly. At the moment Tomcat is using the coyote connector in the
following way:
port="8080"
              minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="false"
              redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" debug="0"
              connectionTimeout="20000" useURIValidationHack="false"
disableUp
              loadTimeout="true"/>
As far as I remember is the 'connectionLinger' time disabled if this
configuration is not set in the connector. Is this correct and does this
configuration affect the problem I am experiencing ?

Thank you very much,
Thomas