tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Corrigan" <j...@johncorrigan.net>
Subject RE: Windows Menu Startup and JAVA_OPTS
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:05:26 GMT
If the menu runs that, then it is unlikely that the environment variables
are seen.  The current version of Java doesn't have any non-deprecated
methods for accessing OS environment variables.  You could edit the .pif
file used to start Tomcat and add the -Xms switch to the command.

BTW, does Auto Trader use Tomcat for production?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Scudds [mailto:Chris.Scudds@autotrader.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 2:59 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Windows Menu Startup and JAVA_OPTS

Folks,

Tomcat 4.0.6 on Windows 2000 - we were running out of memory, so I
added a "-Xms256m" to the JAVA_OPTS environment variable. However,
it didn't seem to make any difference.

Now, would I be right in saying that if Tomcat is started from the
Windows desktop menu ie.

	Programs->Apache4.0->Start Tomcat

then JAVA_OPTS is not used? The menu seems to run something
like "java -jar /Program Files/Apache4.0/bin/bootstrap.jar start" which as
far as I can see doesn't pass the JAVA_OPTS to the JVM.

  Cheers,

     Chris

Chris Scudds
Development Team Leader