tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Memory Leak with static content
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:08:57 GMT

Howdy,
I assumed you had a test server that mimic your production setup -- I
wasn't suggested you run with a profiler on a production server, as the
slowdown is unbearable usually ;)

Make sure the server in question has all the required Solaris OS patches
for the JDK version you're using.  We forgot to do that a couple of
times and had unstable behavior.

Other than that, I concur with what Senor Giannopoulos said: we've seen
no problems running tomcat with JDK 1.4.2 on Solaris 8 in production for
heavy traffic sites with lots of static (and dynamic) content.  In fact,
we moved from $$$ servers to tomcat and have been exceedingly happy with
the results.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

re-familiarize
>myself with its use is something I'd like to skip.  On top of that,
this is
>a production server and I wouldn't want to run a profiler and stress it
out
>;).
>
>I'm trying hard to stand behind the jakarta community here, because
I've
>gotten some good use out of Tomcat in the past.  I'm even taking heat
from
>fellow developers for using Tomcat on a production server, but I think
it
>can be done.  I'll wait and see if there are any more suggestions, and
then
>I'll either decide to trudge ahead with OptimizeIt or just change java
>servers.
>
>-Seth.

Users
>> >would try to see their sites and just get a blank white screen until
>> their
>> >request timed out.  I haven't let it time go incrementally since
I've
>> >upgraded Tomcat or the jdk, however, I may let it stall out if I get
>> that
>> >desperate.
>> >-I upgraded to 1.4.2 and still the memory increases.
>> >-Yes, I'm closing all streams in the email class.  Also, this
>> particular
>> >code has been used successfully across platforms and across java
>> servers
>> >for
>> >about 3 years now.
>> >
>> >Anymore input is greatly appreciated.