tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: problems starting/stopping tomcat
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:00:48 GMT

Howdy,
Several things to do:

Try to start tomcat from the console (use catalina.sh run instead of
catalina.sh start) and when you run into this condition again, use
CTRL-BREAK to send a SIGQUIT to the JVM so that you can an output of
what your threads are doing.

Don't start non-daemon threads in your webapp.  Alternatively, if you
do, make sure they properly handle interruptions and quit.  If you're
not sure where they're coming from, do the above SIGQUIT approach to
see.

As another alternative, though dirty and potentially very bad if there's
more than one webapp on the server: write a ServletContextListener that
does System.exit(n) at the end of its contextDestroyed method ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

2246
>)
>
>not being able to get a clean state.
>Can you tell me how to look for status of ports and how I can kill
those
>processes
>keeping thoses port occupied because I can not see tomcat process.
>netstat | grep 8080
>returns nothing (I get sth. for 8005) but that is not why it fails??!
>I do not want to boot everytime I run into that problem ..
>Thanks Astrid
>

>Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
>>Howdy,
>>I'm glad you're OK for now ;)
>>
>>Tomcat shuts down properly under normal circumstances.  The only times
>>when it doesn't is when webapps start non-daemon threads and don't
>>terminate them properly.  Sometimes your webapp doesn't do this
directly
>>but a 3rd party library used by your webapp does.
>>
>>Yoav Shapira
>>Millennium ChemInformatics

intended