tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet.destroy but not init called when context is reloaded
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:01:00 GMT

Howdy,

>Looking at the log this weird behaviour seems to start after init()
threw
>an
>exception. I did restart the Tomcat service, but the somehow the server
>kept
>malfunctioning from this point onwards. Can the init() somehow be
disabled,
>so it wont be called on future reloads ?

No, init cannot be disabled.  It is your responsibility to ensure proper
init processing or alternatively be ready to deal with an undefined
state for that servlet.

>Is this 1) an issue with garbage collection order 2) some JRE problem,
that
>persists across Tomcat reloads 3) Potentially a Tomcat bug 4) Me being
>stupid ?

None of the above.  It's an issue with you not properly handling an
errorneous init() method.

>looking at the log, there might be a 5th possibility relating to Axis
being
>being busy starting, resulting in a socket timeout that leaves the
>communication in an unstable state, does that sound plausible ?

Possibly, yes.  Only you would know, as that's very implementation
specific.

>Rather than waste your time by pasting a 1000 lines from the logfile.
My
>question is simply : what is the most likely cause of my problem ?

Make sure you init method catches exceptions and handles them properly.

Yoav Shapira