tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: problems starting/stopping tomcat
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:58:05 GMT

Howdy,
Use netstat to see the status of ports.

Tomcat uses at least two ports at runtime: the SHUTDOWN port (8005 by
default) and the actual user connector ports (8080 and 8009 by default
for tomcat 4.1.x).

What likely happened was:
- Your first tomcat instance (ports 8005 and 8080) did not shut down
properly,  most likely because you had non-daemon threads still running

- When you changed to port 8081 and tried to start, you got the error
because tomcat was still listening on port 8005 for shutdown.  You need
to change both ports, or better yet, fix the cause for tomcat not
shutting down properly ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics