tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat,
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:04:57 GMT

Howdy,

>I noticed that there is an additional tomcat version for jdk 1.4. The
>common\endorsed directory is empty where the xerces jars exist on the
other
>tomcat version. What's the meaning of the endorsed directory? What
would
>happen when I copy the context of the endorsed directory to the lib
>directory?

It's good you asked before doing it on a production system ;)  The
consequences can be damaging.

I assume you've read
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
which talks briefly about the endorsed classes?

See also this thread
http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tomcat-devel/2003-February/04725
3.html

Basically, endorsed libraries override JDK defaults.  So the JDK 1.4
ships with (what is now) an older Xerces version.

Yoav Shapira