tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat,
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:04:57 GMT

>I noticed that there is an additional tomcat version for jdk 1.4. The
>common\endorsed directory is empty where the xerces jars exist on the
>tomcat version. What's the meaning of the endorsed directory? What
>happen when I copy the context of the endorsed directory to the lib

It's good you asked before doing it on a production system ;)  The
consequences can be damaging.

I assume you've read
which talks briefly about the endorsed classes?

See also this thread

Basically, endorsed libraries override JDK defaults.  So the JDK 1.4
ships with (what is now) an older Xerces version.

Yoav Shapira