tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat and multiple processors
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:55:57 GMT

Hola,

>1.  Does it support multiple processors?  We have a Tomcat instance in
>production on a NT box with 4 processors, but Tomcat only seems to use
one.
>Does the 1.4.2 JVM support MP?

As you guessed in your question, MP support is much more VM-specific
than app-specific.  Tomcat doesn't have special coding to preclude or
support MP machines.  The 1.4.2 JVM supports MP machines to varying
degrees, depending on the hardware.  For example, we have some fairly
big (up to 32 processors) Solaris servers and the 1.4.2 JVM on Solaris
effectively uses all processors.  I don't know if the windows
implementation is as good.

>2.  We have IIS on the front end, and we are currently not able to
migrate
>to Apache.  We'd like to use the connectors (jk or jk2) to do load-
>balancing
>and failover.  Do these connectors provide the support we need?  Should
be
>use a clustering architecture like JavaSpaces
>(http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/2422) instead?

I suggest Filip Hanik's reference and implementation:
http://cvs.apache.org/~fhanik/index.html

>3.  We plan on deploying 42+ applications to a number of Tomcat
servers.
>Since each application will support 1 customer - I think it's a good
idea
>have 1 app -> 1 tomcat - so if Tomcat crashes, it only affects that
>customer

Yup, not a bad idea.

>- rather than all customers.  I've heard of setting up a CATALINA_BASE
>share Tomcat's core files, and then setup webapps directories for each
>customer.  Does this sound reasonable?  Have have others done something

That's one way to go.  But you could also just set up completely
different tomcat installations, which I would do if disk space is not a
problem.  After all, you're going to remove the docs, examples, etc from
each installation so it will be pretty small.  You will save the
[admittedly minor] headache of having a less-well-supported tomcat
configuration (one with CATALINA_BASE != CATALINA_HOME).

Yoav Shapira