tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Memory leaks?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:52:41 GMT

Howdy,
I completely agree with Senor Einfeldt's comments, having found exactly
the same results in my experience with -server.  Waiting for Tiger's
-server fixes.

To the original poster: any objects with dangling references may not be
recycled when your app is restarted.  These can have bad consequences,
such as excessive memory use or stale data, or even tomcat-killing
errors such as the dreaded CL: Lifecycle Stopped one ;)

You should very carefully inspect your app to close all resources that
you can: basically, if it has a public
close()/shutdown()/terminate()/whatever function, use it ;)  This
applies to DB objects, such as the connection/statement/result
set/connection pool, but also to others like JMS connections/sessions,
mail sessions, transactions, etc.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics