tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Web App Using JSTL Is Still Failing Under Tomcat 4.0.6
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:28:59 GMT

Howdy,

>"...Definitely NOT using common/lib, shared/lib, and
>other shared repositories.  Disk space is cheap.  Your
>time diagnosing classloader issues related to the
>common repositories is expensive..." - so true.
>
>Even for JDBC JARs?

Yes.  I'm pretty strict about keeping webapp container-independent and
self-contained, so I use DBCP myself within my webapp rather than
tomcat's built-in DBCP support.  Therefore I don't put anything in
server.xml to configure connection pools.  Then the JDBC driver jar
doesn't need to be in common/lib, instead it's in WEB-INF/lib.  This has
been valuable many times, and in fact we deploy to a heterogeneous
server environment without recompilation OR repackaging: same WAR.

I'm a huge fan of tomcat, obviously.  But I'm not a big fan at all of
any shared/common classloader repositories in servlet containers.  They
invariably cause more problems than solutions ;)

Yoav Shapira