tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: j2ee.jar - need JMS services from another server
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:15:07 GMT

Howdy,

>I believe if any duplicates are included - the Tomcat server will not
boot.

That's wrong.  The precise behavior depends on what's duplicated.  You
can easily get such behavior that will make tomcat boot, but throw
runtime exceptions.  Or boot, but make your servlet or entire webapp
unavailable.

>(I believe java classloaders will not allow any duplicates that have
"java"
>as the first four characters in the path.)

Not just java, also javax and certain special packages like org.w3c.dom.
These require endorsed classloaders (e.g. the classloader tomcat uses to
load files from $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed).

Try having an old version of the javax.servlet jars in your abridged jar
and see what happens ;)

Yoav Shapira