tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Web App Using JSTL Is Still Failing Under Tomcat 4.0.6
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:12:52 GMT

Howdy,

>On Shawn Bayern's sage advice, I put the standard.jar
>in the CLASSPATH and make the URI identical to the

As you know, tomcat ignores the CLASSPATH environment variable.

>Both the echo and data source test apps are set up
>that way, too.

So the difference must be in your own app's setup, right?

>Here's a "DLL Hell" question for you: where should all
>those JARs go?  I put my JDBC JARs in the
>TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib directory, as the docs
>instruct.

I'm a big fan of putting all jars for a webapp in its WEB-INF/lib
directory.  If a jar is used by N webapp, N copies of it should be
around, one for each WEB-INF/lib directory.  You should be able to
deploy and run your webapp as one packed WAR file.  It should be
self-contained.

>I've got the JSTL JARs in TWO places:
>TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib AND in the WEB-INF/lib
>directory in my WAR file.
>
>Could that be it?

Yes, that could be it.

>Which do you recommend?

Definitely NOT using common/lib, shared/lib, and other shared
repositories.  Disk space is cheap.  Your time diagnosing classloader
issues related to the common repositories is expensive.

Yoav Shapira