tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Signal 11 Error: An unexpected exception in native code outside the VM
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:09:47 GMT

Howdy,

>Right now the server has all of the latest and
>greatest patches from Red Hat.  We are still seeing
>crashes about once a day.

OK, so we can rule out OS patches as the cause ;)

>I am also observing a significant memory leak on this
>box, though I can't figure out if its Tomcat, java,
>the code or something else - once the memory gets low
>enough tomcat crashes.

Once the memory gets low enough, the server will crash, yes.
It's likely that if you find and fix the memory leak,
your crashing problem will go away.

>I am planning on making the following config changes
>to hopefully remedy this problem:
>
>-Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:NewSize=256m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
>-Xincgc

Doesn't make sense at all.  The new generation size
should never be the entire heap, as that leaves no room
for long-lived objects and will have your JVM thrashing
all the time.

If your machine has 2GB of memory, maybe something like
-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m
is more reasonable.  Experiment with incremental collection
(-Xincgc) but don't expect it to be a miracle cure.

Finally, if your memory leak is serious enough, your garbage
collections settings may not help at all.

Use a profiler to determine where and why the memory leak
is happening, and fix it in the code.

Yoav Shapira